Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Susan Boyle, My Professional Role Model

I know that millions have seen the YouTube clip and that the story of Susan Boyle is, in many ways, so last year.

But I stumbled onto the audition footage again last week and was as taken by the improbable superstar this time as I was when her story first broke. (For those of you who live under a rock, the clip can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eOV2Pt_F-E&feature=related).

It all started with a question that is easy to ask, difficult to answer, and seemingly impossible to achieve. “What’s the dream?”

Difficult to hear over the rising laughter from the audience, Susan Boyle said she was, “trying to be a professional singer.”

“Why hasn’t it worked out so far, Susan?”

And this is the part that really struck me. At the age of 47, with years of disappointment behind her, Susan Boyle said, and still really believed, that she had not succeeded because she had “never been given the chance before, but here is hoping it will change.”

When the footage was first shown on TV, and then picked up by YouTube, I will admit it - I was one of the saps who watched the audition too many times in a row. Even more embarrassing is admitting that I again watched the clip back to back to back when I came across it last week.

I watch the clip on repeat because this is, I believe, the moment we all want to experience just once in our lives. The moment when what we have always wanted to do, what we are capable of doing, and what we are currently doing, intersect so beautifully.

A 47-year-old woman with an unfortunate hair cut made me tear up because we lived the moment in which she was given the chance to showcase her talent with her and she made the most of both her talent and her moment. The live audience, the judges, and I initially doubted her, just like she must have doubted herself millions of times throughout her life.

But, unlike so many of us, Susan Boyle had the strength and the belief that kept her moving forward.

We all wake up each morning and do something. My hope for myself is that I continue to move forward each day, just as Susan Boyle did, so that at some point I will also be able to reach the moment when my talents, my aspirations, and my current work combine to create a perfect storm of success and fulfillment.

And that is why I watch again and again and again. Because Susan Boyle is proof that there is a place where success and passion and talent meet and that this place is worth working towards no matter how long and bumpy the road.

7 comments:

  1. The thing that you have to know is that it didn't stop there for Susan; every day brings a new challenge to her, and every day, she accepts and meets that challenge with grace and courage. It's been brought home to me this week, as she prepares to join numbers of the world's most famous musical artists to raise money for Haiti...she has the fame, she's broken records that no other artist can claim; but she has no experience in being famous, or even in preparing to be famous. Yet she's managing it, embracing it with that amazing, dauntless courage...she continues to inspire, well beyond those 3 well-documented minutes of her audition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am 14 years Susan's senior, and she has certainly taught me a thing or two about courage and belief in one's abilities. She continues to do so every day, with her amazing voice and merely being exactly who she is. I love that sweet Scottish lady - she is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. susan boyle is in a class by herself--she is the real magnificent obssesion - i do not think we will see another like her again--when she walks on the stage you are taken with her beautiful voice and total confidence-- she is a glorious role model for everyone ---she is susan boyle professional singer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone has dreams to be somebody. Many have to give it up for some reason for the other. For Susan case it maybe taking care of her mom until she passed away. Therefore not every people have the opportunity to have their dreams come true because of obligation to take care of loves one.

    Anyway! I believe in Jesus. I think God know how many people give up their dreams to take care of others (dad, mom, kids, sick people etc). Even upon exit of this world, maybe God will re-pay you in some great way for the dreams you give up for taking care love one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good stuff as always Lindsey. You might have a future as a professional blogger. Two very satisfying moments in the past couple of years come to mind, although they may not be on the same scale as Susan's. One was an impromptu standing O at the end of a conference I ran and the other was for some volunteering I did with my alma mater (not ours though). Moments like these every so often are tangible and memorable, but I think there are also smaller, more frequent moments that can lead to great job/career satisfaction. That's why compliments/thank-you's at work from a boss or
    colleague can be so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael, We will see about the professional blogging thing - unless, of course, you are offering me a job :)

    I would agree that the moments that make you feel satisfied do not need to take place in front of an audience. In fact, I think the smaller scale moments often mean more because they are more personal.

    Colleagues and managers too often overlook the value of feedback and I am glad that you do not take it for granted. In a business world trying to develop the masses for as little money as possible, the cost free benefit of positive reinforcement cannot be overstated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments. Yes, it is true that life is comprised of challenges - one after the next. Not only was self belief needed to get Susan Boyle to the point of her audition, but it continues to be essential to her ongoing success and spirit.

    ReplyDelete