Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Just Ten More Minutes, Please




Why are people so quick to equate success with waking up early?

Consider the fact that those who work late into the night should reach their goals before early risers even knock the alarms off their bedside tables. Does this make you think about the early bird in a different way?



As you may have guessed, I am a night person. I can work and innovate and create at all hours of the night. Ask me what my name is before 8 am and I will have to “check on that and get back to you.”

Some people are allergic to peanut butter, some to wheat, and some to milk. Me, I am allergic to morning. Since peanut butter is banned from school cafeterias to protect those with a sensitivity to JIF and wheat free products are made to ensure the health of those who react poorly to gluten, why can’t similar concessions be made so that I do not suffer through my attempts to wake up before the sun rises?

How, in the working world, is my allergy to the morning being considered?

As I move back into the office-based working world, dealing with my allergy to morning has been one of my biggest challenges. And my very biased observational research indicates that I am not alone in my disdain for those early hours.

People I pass on my walk to work have tears in their eyes and it seems likely that something more than the blustering wind is behind their unhappiness. People I enter my building alongside have looks of despair on their faces and I have to believe that something more than the few-too-many drinks imbibed the night before is at play.

This is definitely one of those “generational differences” people talk so much about. Twenty-somethings were not raised to think of nine-to-five jobs as the path to success. And, as organizations look to re-engage employees in a post recession economy, it seems the twenty-something concept of a flexible work schedule needs to be considered more seriously.

Not only do flexible work schedules serve as a perk at no financial cost to organizations, but these schedules also allow people to work when they are at their best.

If the goal at any organization is to do just that - to get people to do their best work - does it matter where the big and little hands are pointing when this work is being done?

9 comments:

  1. I tried explaining this very concept to the people I worked for. They never seemed to understand...which is probably why they're in the past tense.

    Then again, I was trying to sell my college newspaper on the importance of a 24/7 website back before anyone heard of a blog...so maybe some of us are just ahead of the times.

    Good writing, would love to see more of it!

    john

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, John. I hope your current employer is more flexible and that this flexibility has created a better career fit for you.

    What is often missing from the conversation is the idea that the increased flexibility generally leads to more motivated and higher performing employees. If done correctly, it seems to be a win-win.

    Keep the comments coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. I'm the same way; always did my best schoolwork between midnight at 3am. Unfortunate that the majority of office jobs are the 8-5 variety. I suppose my next adventure should include a nice flexible work schedule. Oh, and post-recession economy? Seeing that I just got laid off today, I don't think it's quite over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comment from your forty something cousin..Jordan and Maddy have to be at their respective bus stops at 6:50 am and 7:10 am..which means I am up getting breakfast etc at 6:15 am and going and checking on kids that literally do not hear their alarm clocks beeping right next to their heads!Waking the 9th grader can be torture..and it is a proven fact that high school kids do not function as well so early , yet the kids attending primary school are at their bus stop 2 hours later then the high school kids! Nothing is easy! Holiday breaks sans alarm clocks are the happiest days of all !

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a genetic early to riser, we differ. However, I see your point. Deadlines are deadlines. Get it done however you prefer should be more widely accepted. Will it take until the twenty-somethings are running the show for this to change?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about the less-than-great news, Rocco.

    On the bright side (and take it from someone who has been there - I understand the bright side does not always seem very bright) you can use this change as an opportunity to consider what the next best career move for you is. What do you want to do and how can you get there?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for reading, Lori. Haven't you heard that 40 is the new 20!? :)

    I have always believed that mothers have the most difficult job in the world and your comment validates my belief.

    The only good news for you is that college is not far off! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Johnny D, thanks for commenting.

    I don't dislike morning people. I just dislike the idea that everyone has to accomodate those who do their best work in the morning.

    I do think that as more twenty-somethings take over, things will begin to change.

    In addition, the global business world continues to grow. Fairly soon I believe we will get to the point where early and late have very little meaning - the different time zones mean that it will always be early somewhere in the world and late somewhere in the world. Organizations will need people who can work effectively at all times of the day in order to meet international business needs. If you take the "early" shift, I will take the "late" shift - deal?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lindsey, it's good to see you're blogging again and working as well. What did you decide to do, assuming I'm correct?

    I agree with your beef over working hours. There are certain industries when a set schedule makes sense, but there are probably more that don't fall into that category. My dad allows his employees to be on a flex schedule (they assemble orthopedic devices) and it's been very successful.

    ReplyDelete