Friday, October 9, 2009

Forget Monster, Hit the Bar

I am looking for a new job. Is anyone else?

Whether you have been laid off, are beginning to look, want to test the waters, or would rather be doing anything else than your current work, an obvious place to start a job search is on Monster.

I have taken this step. Not only is my resume posted on the site, but I also wake up each morning, open my e-mail, and, over a cup of coffee, review the job matches Monster has compiled just for me. (For those keeping score, the number of jobs Monster has sent me: well over 5,000, the number of positions that were actually a good match: five, the amount of success I have had: zero, the feeling I get on some mornings, after reviewing frustrating and nonsensical matches, that I want to throw my computer out my apartment window: priceless.)

While no promising leads have transpired, I continue to log onto the site daily. On days during which I feel as if I am making little-to-no progress, however, my frustration can reach Homeland Security orange level.

After one such day I decided to set aside my job concerns and meet some friends for a drink. And then it happened - over two glasses of sauvignon blanc I made more meaningful job connections than I had in over 5,000 Monster postings. I felt a bit like I had cheated on Monster.

Why was I so successful? Over the bustling of the crowded bar, I was able to explain why I am passionate about human motivation and performance. I was able to share my enthusiasm and describe my previous work experiences. And, I was able to enjoy a good glass of wine. Unless my memory is failing me, I do not believe Monster has ever ponied up to the bar and offered to buy the next round.

As Gen Y’ers, we have many experiences to share, many interests to describe, and many passions to reveal. These experiences, interests, and passions often do not translate well on paper.

A list of presentations and publications does not describe the feeling of accomplishment I experienced after presenting at my first major conference, or the immense pride I had when a tennis player I coached overcame her self-doubt and self-imposed limits to be successful, or the look of appreciation on the faces of those friends and colleagues I have come across who have read my blog and feel a sense of connection to my ideas.

The world has become a tangled web of tweets and status updates. While these tools are useful, I still believe there is no substitute for going out, looking someone in the eye, and telling them what you love to do.

As for my job search, like a dutiful partner I went back to Monster the next morning and I continue to review my job matches daily. That said, I am pretty sure I will cheat again next week. Anyone up for a drink?

5 comments:

  1. I agree, Lindsey, during my job search I've gotten real satisfaction (and sometimes a renewed sense of purpose) from explaining my passion for fundraising to friends, acquaintances and colleagues. One of the pluses of living in a big city is the opportunity to discuss my passion and career goals with many different people. It's even more satisfying when I get to explain in a 1st round job interview that my passion just so happens to strongly overlap with the job I'm interviewing for, which is what happened yesterday.

    I have also struggled with articulating my passion in my cover letter and resume, which is why I bit the bullet recently and spent some $$ on professional resume and cover letter advice. After a summer of few interviews it couldn't hurt. I'm always up for a drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a 30something, currently working but I have experienced 2 layoffs in the past. I can confirm that no matter what technology comes out, hiring doesn't change because it is up to people, not a resume reader software program. People like to hire people like themselves.

    Getting out in public, talking about your background and letting people know you are looking for work will pay off, sometimes sooner sometimes a little later. Value contacts, don't dismiss them because knowing them doesn't appear to be of immediate benefit, especially in a smaller community where everyone is separated by six degrees or less.

    If people are more introverted, like myself, networking and socializing can seem hard or make you feel silly. For those persons, I suggest joining Toastmasters, career groups, and getting active in volunteer work that means something to you, these situations will spark conversation more easily.

    Sometimes a job doesn't exist, but if people are drawn to who you are and what you could do for their company, they could create a position for you.

    Or if you are a younger person, you could start out in a less than ideal position with a company you like, or a boss that inspires you. Rock that role! Through the workweek, casually let superiors know where you'd like to go from there, and what you'd really like to do for the company as an employee.

    Good luck to all seekers! Often people who find a new job end up grateful they were let go--they find something better, got a break from monotony or an unhappy role, and got valuable free time for new training.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, Thanks for your comment and sorry for my delayed response. I wasn't sure anyone was actually going to comment - thanks for biting the bullet. :)

    It must be nice to realize that you are so well suited for a job for which you are interviewing. I hope the meeting went well.

    And, I wonder, did the professional help with the resume make a big difference?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, Thanks for your insights. I could not agree more with what you said.

    In particular, the part that I found to be true, is that if an organization, or a person within an organization, likes you, there will become a position available whether or not they are supposedly hiring.

    This is why getting out there (and I appreciate how difficult it is since I am not the most extroverted person myself) is of the utmost importance. It turns out that many jobs are not posted anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel better about my resume and cover letter now. In a hypercompetitive job market I'll take any good advice I can get. We'll see about their effectiveness with the next few jobs I apply for.

    My phone interview went well and I'm cautiously optimistic I'll get invited to Boston for a 2nd interview.

    ReplyDelete