Monday, October 19, 2009

Bursting The Balloon

I tried not to watch. Really, I did.

Sure, at first I was captivated by the site of the silver flying saucer shooting through the Denver skies.

And then, like most, I felt some anguish after learning that a six-year-old boy may be stuck inside the soaring contraption.

However, as news of the family’s ongoing search for fame and fortune came to light, and the probability that the ordeal was another unfortunate attempt by the parents to be known for something, anything, increased, I felt angry to be watching it all unfold.

I decided that I would not be a part of the media circus. I switched off the television and continued on with my day.

Later that night, however, as much as I tried to stay away from the Balloon Boy, I simply could not find a safe haven. Networks known for delivering the actual news - CNN, ABC, NBC – were showing expanded coverage of the mishap. I understand that a flying saucer is news, but top story news, bigger than the economy and the unemployment rate and the debate over health care reform?

And then Falcon Heene, the balloon boy himself, threw-up numerous times on national television, unable to hold back how sick he was feeling at being the focus of this national frenzy. I have to agree with the upset stomach of the six-year-old, the whole story is enough to make you lose your lunch.

The line between news and entertainment becomes more and more blurred with every Balloon Boy and every update on Jon and Kate and their eight. In spite of the blurring of this line, it remains difficult for me to believe that the place for these guilty pleasures should ever be the nightly news.

What concerns me even more is that children – the next generation - are becoming involved in these situations.

Our generation was among the first to recognize people simply for being famous. The Real World, the Hills, the Housewives of New York, the Bachelor – these shows are all comprised of characters (people?) that have become famous for, well, nothing.

I watch these shows, as so many others do, and I do not believe the hour-long programs will negatively affect our society (other than killing a few brain cells with each viewing). What may impact the future, though, is the fact that the slippery slope we are on in determining what separates shameless entertainment from news is becoming increasingly icier.

Whereas our generation may still be able to, with a bit of searching, find the line that separates voyeuristic entertainment from real life, I wonder if the Heene children and the Gosselin kids will similarly be able to understand the difference between celebrity and achievement, between attention and talent, between being famous and being infamous.

And, even if they are able to understand the difference, I wonder if they will care.

No comments:

Post a Comment