Monday, September 21, 2009

The Road Did Not Diverge, It Splintered

You have likely heard how two roads diverged in the woods and, according to Frost, choosing the one less traveled made all the difference. I think I will be the first to tell you that this poem has started to irritate me.

How, you may be thinking, can a classic piece of literature have become more grating than the omnipresent discussion about Kanye West’s mental health? I am on edge because as I try to make a decision regarding the road to take in my own career (and life), I feel less like the road has neatly forked and more as if it has splintered. Not only can I choose the more or less traveled path, but I can also cut through the woods, swim across the river, kayak downstream, or helicopter out of the area altogether.

Which is the right path for me? I am having an increasingly difficult time making this decision and it is not a lack of motivation, a lack of ability, or a lack of interest that is contributing to my uncertainty. I have done well in each stop I have made thus far in my career – count them off with me- in coaching, academia, business, and consulting. Each stop has been accompanied by a unique set of positives and an assortment of challenges. And yet none has been my tall, skim, vanilla latte, extra hot - i.e., the perfect fit for me.

Perhaps it is unrealistic to believe that a perfect job does exist. However, I have been brainwashed to believe there must be something out there for me. There must be a position that will allow me to work to my potential, challenge my mind, and create worthwhile outcomes.

As I look around and contemplate my next step, I am confronted in magazines and on television with examples of people in their twenties who have made it big, doing what they love, and loving what they do. I have to believe I am not alone, though, in being part of the other group – part of the group that continues to look for answers.

If you have come to a fork in the road and are having a tough time choosing a path, I would love to hear from you. If nothing else, we can flip a coin together. Best out of 5 wins. Do you think I would leave a decision this important to just one flip?

3 comments:

  1. Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and I ended up eating bugs and twigs for a month till the park ranger found me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos on an interesting new blog from a fellow Hamilton alum. I remember you and your brother being good athletes. Anyway, I think I'm with you in the camp that's unemployed and looking for the job and industry that's the best fit. Because both my parents, my brother and others I know have satisfying careers I'm optimistic (or "brainwashed") I'll find my way eventually. As long as job searches don't take forever and my jobs along the path to the ideal job are somewhat satisfying I think I'll be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, It is always good to run into a Hamilton alum. You are correct; my brother and I were both athletes at Hamilton. The "good" part is definitely up for debate :)

    You are definitely not alone in your unemployed status or your uncertainty. It is nice that you have people around you who have found the right fit, although that does not make your own search any easier (and sometimes helps to create a bit more frustration). Let me know when (yes, when) you find the perfect fit for you. Until then, thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete